Interview: Shajar Khan

We have something really special today, an exclusive interview with Shajar Khan. Shajar is quite a famous face, she is a former Miss International SA, a model and brand ambassador and the CEO of Paper Dolls, which is a modeling and finishing school based in Johannesburg.  

In her capacity as Miss International South Africa; She represented South Africa at the Miss International 2013 pageant, which took place in Chicago, 23 – 27 July 2013.

Makeup: @the_paper_dolls, Wardrobe: @missbosscouture_official, Hair: @zahra_hairdressing, Photographer: @genevieve_basson @alexius68_lightning_photograph


Shajar is also very educated, she studied psychology and has just completed a Human Resources Management degree at the University of Johannesburg. She is currently on the SAP learning hub whereby she completed SAP HR. #beauty&brains 

Something you might not have known about her is that she was previously employed at as a Forensic Investigator/Consultant at Fivaz Risk Management, owned by Ex police commissioner George Fivaz. 

Her company The Paper Dolls has achieved a great network of people through hard work and branding, and She has been fortunate enough to rub shoulders with the likes of Robert Gumede, JT Foxx, George Ross; and Stedman Graham (Partner to media mogul Oprah Winfrey). 

Paper Dolls has also been receiving extensive media coverage with features by BBC World Radio, Talk Radio 702, City Press News Paper, Mela Television programme and ANN7 

Shajar is the definition of grace, elegance and beauty. She's also down to earth and is sweet as apple pie. South African Style was really honoured to interview her.

Shajar is sharing her style and her experiences with us today.

Tell us about yourself
I am 25 years of age, I started modeling at the age of 14. I have never signed with an agency or had a PR company - I have managed to build my brand through hard work and dedication. I am an a brand ambassador for many prestigious brands and companies throughout South Africa.
I am involved in many youth and women empowerment projects. I have also been the youngest Legend Award Recipient in 2012, as well as a Women of Wonder Award Recipient in 2016. 
Describe your style
I believe that fashion fades and style is eternal.I would describe my style as sophisticated and elegant. I love being unique and not following trends.
Which fashion designers and fashion bloggers do you admire?
I do not follow any bloggers. Fashion designers would definitely be Dolce Gabanna, Versace, and I absolutely love DVF. There's so many to mention! South African designer would have to be Miss Boss Couture.
With spring/summer approaching, What's your must-have spring/summer staple? 
Floral chiffon maxi dresses - it is always looks classy and sophisticated.
The one item you think completes a look?
No, it definitely takes more than one item.
What’s your favourite trend at the moment?
I am obsessed with round mirrored sunglasses.
Are there any trends you wished you never tried?
I wouldn't call it a trend, however I decided to colour my hair silver grey...my hair could definitely do without the damage.
Your must have accessory? 
Little black dress, I don't wear much jewellery and do not like clutter. Less is more, and every woman should own a black dress that is versatile.
Heels? or Flats?
Heels
Your favourite beauty/make up product you can’t live without?
There's more than one lol!
NARS albatross highlighter
Smashbox powder
Tactha Luminous dewy skin mist
Favorite lipstick colour?
Posie K kylie cosmetics
Huda beauty in throphy wife
Louboutin lipstick in Just Nothing
Mac twig
The one beauty trend you are loving right now?
Rose gold glitter eyeshadow, and barely there glossy makeup, as well as natural full eyebrows

Whats in your everyday make up bag?

This is a tough one as I carry mostly everything with me.

Mac Twig lipstickSmash box liquid pen liner
Smash box powder
Mac Concealer
Lipliner (3 different shades)
Vitamin E face mist
Mascara
Beauty blender
Favourite places to shop and why?
Dubai, there is so much variety and the malls are enormous. One of my favourites has to be theDubai Mall - level shoes, kate spade new york, victoria secret, sephora, burberry (I could go on forever.)
New york - Macy's and Barneys because it has mostly every designer under one roof.
South Africa - Louis Vuitton, Forvever new, Morgan, Jo borkett to mention a few.

I love forever new items as they cater for both causal and corporate looks - its quick and easy to match up for an everyday look..Louis Vuitton well no explanation needed 😃
You were crowned as Miss International SA in 2013, how did you enter into pageantry and what was the experience like?
I was crowned Miss India Gauteng 2011, where I went on to represent Gauteng at the Miss India South Africa 2011, I was then placed in the top 5 and was crowned The Avant Garde Face/Most Beautiful Face of Miss India SA 2011.
In February 2012, I was crowned Miss Impressions, and went on to be an ambassador for Impressions Magazine, which is distributed throughout South Africa; it features topics such as Youth development, health, beauty, latest celebrity insights. During my reign I had the responsibility of writing an article every alternate month for the magazine.

Wanting to achieve more and strive for greatness, I then competed in the Miss India South Africa International 2012, and was crowned Miss India South Africa International Poise model of the year 2012. In addition, I was the youngest Legend Award Recipient in 2012.
Thereafter I won Miss International South Africa 2013 and represented South Africa on an international platform.
It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience, I got to meet beautiful talented women from all walks of life. It was such an honour being a representative of an entire nation.

You have quite a large social media following, has social media helped you in anyway or do you feel pressure from having to post about your day to day life?
Social media has helped in terms of building my brand and networking (endorsements and sponsorships) however there is pressure especially when it comes to my personal life. I recently removed all information/pictures with regard to my partner as we had lost the element of privacy in our relationship.

Certain things are best left off social media.

So you get a lot of hate, if so, how do you deal wit the negativity?
I do receive hate mail often - I am currently in the process of creating Case law in South Africa regarding cyber bullying attacks. I have been attacked online on more than one occasion and I decided to take a stand against it and take legal action.

Along with the hate mail there is always good and positivity. I've also learned to laugh it off, and have fun with it. I believe that when you are comfortable with your flaws no one can use them against you. The tallest trees catch the most wind.
Your favourite quote
Talent is given, greatness is earned.
In one sentence, sum up yourself?
I consider myself to be an ambitious young lady and I firmly believe that insecurity is a waste of time.

Queen of Selfies 👑👑👑

So there you have it, all of Shajar's beauty and style secrets as well as some empowering words of wisdom.We hope you were inspired by this boss babe as much as we were. Don't forget to follow her on social media:

Instagram: @shajar_khan 

Twitter: @shajar_k 
Snapchat: @shajar_k 
Facebook: Shajar Khan 

Check out some of her gorgeous looks below:
Dress by Pallu
Dress: Sevrona (@gabrielledesigner)

Jacket: lipsy london, Pants: Morgan, Shoes and bag: Steve Madden

Dress: @missbosscouture_official, Necklace: Swarovski, Bag: Louis Vuitton 

Dress: Ciska Barnard


Makeup: @the_paper_dolls, Hair: @zahra_hairdressing, Wardrobe: Pallu Rosebank Mall




Jacket: Trenery, Blouse: Forever new, Pants: Forvever new , Bag: Louis Vuitton, Shoes: Aldo

Jeans: true religion. Shirt: Chloe. Bag: Louis Vuitton. Shoes: Valentino

Jacket and shorts - @missbosscouture_official 
Shoes: Brazilian Flair 
Bodysuit: Forvever 21 Dubai

Share:

0 comments