Prom Night: Rohil Singh

Over the last couple of months, we have brought you some gorgeous matric dance looks. Everyone knows the effort that girls put into looking incredible on prom night, but we decided to change things up and focus this feature on a guys perspective. We interviewed Rohil Singh on how he gets ready for that all important night. 



First Question, where's your look from?
I had purchased my suit and shoes from Markhams, Eastgate. A patterned floral shirt from Stuttafords and a bowtie from Woolworths.

What preparation went into getting your look together
I had recently returned from a tour in Europe a week before my Matric Dance, which meant I did not have much time and I had been badly sunburnt. At first I thought of going for the classic and timeless look of a black suit. After purchasing the suit I ventured out to find a shirt with a black floral design as I knew this would complement my spontaneous and adventurous character. This seemed to be another sequel of Mission Impossible as it was the middle of winter and no floral designs had been available. In the last second when all hope seemed to be dismal I had laid my eyes upon a blue floral shirt in Stuttafords, the last one on the rack and miraculously it had been my size. At that instant I knew blue and black was not a great combination, so I had purchased a navy blue suit to match the shirt. After that everything else had just fallen into place. I also had a friend cover up my sunburn with a tiny touch of make-up, not very masculine but necessary.

What look you were going for and what inspired it? 
The conventional plain colours in formal wear never suited my taste and so I had a strong desire to find something that was anomalous. Floral designs had always captured my eye, and as soon as the idea had come to mind, I knew exactly what I wanted. The look I had tried to go for was a shirt with a floral design which was not too ostentatious and over the top. Something with a touch of style and class and a suit to match it in a reserved manner.

In terms of your hairstyle, what look where you going for?
The hairstyle I went for was my everyday hairstyle that is unique to my persona. Except on this day I had added a touch of the gentleman look to it done by Natalie at Hair Time 4 Men in Edenvale, The hairstyle is a pull-back but on the sides the hair falls over as if it’s a dome. A more old school look with a few modern tweaks.


It's been super fun chatting with Rohil and getting to know more about his Matric dance look. Please check him out and follow him on Instagram at bright.x.eyes







Photo credits to Rohil's amazing mum, Jayshree Singh for all the amazing pictures.

Share:

0 comments