Fashion Feature: Treven Moodley


Pedantic about straight lines, over using the word shan't and an art lover are three of the attributes that make up the complex plethora of, me, Treven Moodley. Born and raised on the sunny sea-side, and yes I love alliteration, city of Durban South Africa, which is in my opinion the epitome of natural beauty.
-Treven Moodley on himself 



Today on the blog, we have a very special interview featuring Treven Moodley.

Treven is a twenty something year old architecture student from Durban. He is currently one of the hottest menswear bloggers in South Africa and recently collaborated with Kurt Geiger. We were excited to find out more about him and his style.


Check out our interview with him below:

We love your collab with Kurt Geiger, what do you love about the brand and what inspired your looks?
Being paired with Kurt Geiger has been such an amazing project to work on. Way before the brand had even heard of my existence, I had been shopping there. The pieces are timeless, comfortable and exude luxury. This made my task of fusing their items into my everyday wardrobe rather seamless. In terms of what inspired my looks, it would certainly be this idea of movement and this interconnected feel between the places I am going and the activities that I am doing. It is this powerful binary of clothes and movement that in my personal opinion elevated and contextualised the pieces. The clothes were so visually strong that they started to tell their own stories. Thus,my task was simple, to ground these stories in a cohesive manner in an effort to create a multitude of compositions that were highly relatable to all demographics.

What is your favorite style, formal or casual wear?
My personal style is not really something to 'ooh and aah' about, I tend to pair things that would not necessarily go together, but I like the way I feel in it. Fashion for me is about how I feel- colors, patterns, volumes and most importantly texture. My personal style is a work in progress, as I am still very much on my journey to going somewhere. So for the mean time, I am somewhere between preppy and street. Hence I call my closet the 'bipolar menagerie '.
Your favourite places to shop?
I shop at a variety of places starting at high end stores , normal chain stores and then vintage shops. When shopping I like to buy timeless pieces that are high end and then pair it with trending basics from Zara or TopShop.

Where did your love of fashion stem from?
I never really got into fashion, it was just something that I took a real interest in. As far back as I could remember, guiding people in terms of their clothing and the way they should look has always been a way for me to express myself and really got to know another person , it is almost like living vicariously through someone else's clothes.This passion for fashion started to become a rather tangible idea, through the development of my social media platforms. Accessibility to various styles and trends became greater and then it all started.
Which fashion designers and fashion bloggers do you admire?
I am inspired by a lot of Asian haute couture, the combination of grunge ,street and uptown - pure perfection. In terms of personal style I quite enjoy pieces from Kenzo, Issey Miyake , Givenchy and for the classics I love me some Gucci. As mentioned above, my style is either street, preppy or somewhere in the middle, so over the years I have started to collect timeless pieces from many unique fashion houses around the world to grow my curated collection.In terms of bloggers, I have, over the years, created quite the network of national and international blogger or digital influencers. I enjoy influencers who have a very unique perspective on the world. I love seeing how people creatively put together un-cohesive ideas in a cohesive manner, This play of textures and light is something that really appeals to me currently. The Influencers or pages that have had a significant impact on me are king_zimela (photographer), bloggers_boyfriend, princeedgie, dust_za, levitatestyle and xylon2000

Your Instagram is "on point", how do you come up with idea’s for your posts?
Instagram is something that I get asked about a lot. I think I have tried it all when it comes to experimenting with getting the perfect feed, it is still something that baffles me. As i slowly move away from over saturated iPhone images, I move toward a feed that is more organically cultivated by the looks or created content. Majority of my shoots begin with national or international precedent that is relatable to the product or brand being shot, this governs a large percentage of the final out come. To conclude, I feel that everything should happen naturally and we need to start showing the realness of life and not sugarcoating everything.
With spring/summer approaching, What's your must-have spring/summer staple?
A good pair of well tailored shorts and light blazer that can be taken from day to night.

The one item you think completes a look?
A pocket square.I feel that this is the easiest tool of expression on a man. It's can be as loud or as subtle as you desire. Although , Versatility is key. The pocket square is not time of day dependent, which is great for transitions between day and night outfits. It adds a level of sophistication to any outfit and reflects the fact that you care about your aesthetic, just enough to the point of sparking intrigue.

Favourite accessories?
In terms of accessories, I am either very simple or all detailed up, dependent on my mood. My Cartier bangle is something that is so versatile that it never leaves my hand and goes with majority of all the outfits. Another is a red ostrich skin wallet, this sparks conversation and gives an exciting pop of life.
In one sentence, sum up Treven Moodley?
Who will ever know what a treven moodley is?
 We hoped you enjoyed getting a glimpse into the complex mind of Treven, his defineity one of our favourite Instagrammers. He is stylish, edgy and is always pushing the envelope when it comes to his style. You can check out more of his looks on his Instagram, at Treven_Moodley or on his snapchat trevenmoodley.




 Credits
Photographer: King_zimela
Outfits: Kurt Geiger
Shoes: Spitz Shoes


Share:

0 comments